Re: Engine break-in

I'm of the opinion that a prolonged breakin is a left over from the Model
T days when materials and manufacturing tolerences were nothing like we
have today.  I'd treat it a bit gently for the first thousand
miles--mostly our of respect for the old days I think-- but then I
wouldn't hesitate to put it to work.

New engines at the Indianapolis Plant were run in test cells hooked to a
dyno for a relatively short time--30 min. to an hour I'd guess--and I
think under heavy load for part of this time.  The oil and coolant were
then drained and the engines shipped to the plant.  Coming off the line,
the trucks got a short run at speed on the dynos again and they were
shipped.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:17:25 -0500 "Chris and Ranae Procyk"
<procyk19@domain.elided> writes:
>Not to say I wouldn't try to run some sort of break-in period on a fresh
>rebuild myself...
>
>but, unless IH had some sort of engine pre-run program (Howard?)
remember
>that the majority of IH V8's would experience a weight (ie, schoolbus
>chassis) at the very first clutch engagement that dwarfs your
truck/trailer
>combos.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]