Re: Motor Mount Styles

Tom Harais wrote:
> Why mess with motor tranny mounts away from what you already know works,
> until you at least get the racer together and try it as is. If then, you
> should find that the driveline angles are so steep as to be delterious to
> your racing, then you can fiddle around. But unitl then, just go with what
> works and what's easy.

Well, I know U-joints will be a problem.  They're a problem on my 4"
lifted '77 front driveshaft.

> I'm sure you've got much more important and significant things to do on the
> racer that will have a much greater effect than lowering the engine and
> tranny.

Gee, Tom... you shoulda seen what I was thinking last weekend... move
the motor back 15" and I could swap driveshafts front to rear... but I
decided *that* was too much work to deal with.. I'd be cutting the cowl
area just to clear the *air filter*... plus everything else.

This *IS* scaled back! ;-)

I'm not super-concerned about the motor lowering.  I'm not *cutting out*
the stock motor mounts.  What I want to do is *try* to lower the motor
and trans.  If I can do it relatively easily, I'll do it.  It doesn't
*seem* like it should be a huge project.  It's one of those easy things
I can do that really would make a noticeable improvement (like having
U-joints work, plus a lower center of gravity)

Of course, I'm still in the analysis phase... I still reserve the right
to determine it's too much effort! ;-)

I'm not about to cut the stock motor mounts off the frame tho'... ;-)

thanks for yankin' me back to reality, Tom... but I've already scaled it
back a bit (radiator is stayin the stock location for now, too)... this
*seems* like a simple modification to make...

-Tom