Re: problems

The aliens commander decided cookiedan@domain.elided (Daniel Nees) would make a
perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>   What do you think?

Dan,

Nothing I can think of about your engine's symptoms sounds good.  The fact
that it lost oil pressure and then the symptoms got worse indicates some
potentially serious internal failures.  When taken with the other symptoms,
oil smoke in the exhaust is a very bad sign.  Usually this comes from worn
rings or very worn valve guides.  The lack of oil pressure could have been
caused by a variety of problems, not limited to a spun crankshaft bearing.

For starters I would warm up the engine then do a compression test.  This
might help eliminate whether the rings are worn excessively.  If it passes
this test, then the valve guides might be suspect as the source of the
burning oil (doubtful if it's really smoking).

I would also consider hooking a mechanical oil pressure gauge in place of
one of the 1/8" NPT main oil gallery plugs on the driver side of the engine
to verify what the pressure really is.  If it's not showing much pressure
at say 2000 rpm, then you have big problems and considering how much you've
operated it in this condition, the engine is likely ruined and in need of a
complete overhaul.

Clattering lifter noise is a definite sign of lack of oil pressure.  Other
noises will soon develop as internal parts are ruined.

Was there actual mud in the oil pan and oil filter?  If so, the abrasive
particles have likely ruined the engine and it's too late.

Sorry for such grim predictions, but I'd rather be up front than string you
along.  Sound to me like it's time for a new motor!

Best of luck to you.

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT