fuel line

Does anybody have any idea what the correct fuel line size is for a Scout II
('74).  It looks like it is 3/8" OD at the gas tank & at the fuel pump, but
on my Scout it is a mish-mash of 3/8 & 1/4 in between.  One of the previous
owners must have had a crisis & just patched it in between.  I only ask
because I am replacing the whole thing and the existing clamps look to hold
the 1/4" line.  I want to do it right with as few "patches" as possible.

Also, what is that white line supposed to be?  Is that fuel return or
something?

I am the only one I know with a Scout, so I have no frame of reference.

Thanks,
Steven Miers
'74 Scout II V8-345, 4spd