Lessons learned from this weekend's wheelin'

http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/antics/feb_99.html has the details of
this weekend's fourwheelin' trip...

I figured a few things out...

33s are NOT tall enough.  I want more!

Spring under is BAD in deep snow.. I can't help but think that a lot of
the time I could've gotten stuck even worse (deeper stuff) if it hadn't
been for those springs and U-bolt plates hanging underneath everything.

If you winch too long and drain the battery, it'll seem like the winch
is broke.  If the truck stalls and won't restart shortly thereafter,
invest in a dual battery setup for next time.

Come-alongs, Hi-Lifts, and a shovel will work when the winches don't..
but winches are SOO much easier.

Buried Scouts will winch un-stuck Broncos towards them better than
unstuck Broncos can pull stuck Scouts out.  ;-)

Front locker + p/s + snow/ice = bad steering response.. but if you put
your head out the window to see what direction the tire really is
pointed, don't get stuck and stand on the gas.. move your head back
inside ASAP or you'll be wiping your glasses off.

Don't shock load a PTO winch's cable.. the PTO shaft just might shear in
two.

I can dig bigger ruts than most of the others. ;-)

I'm becoming a better driver.. On more than one occasion I thought I was
done for.. but I kept working the Scout, and finally powered myself up
n' out again.

Snowmobilers love us. ;-)

12psi didn't seem to work as well as 10psi did on the last trip..

I think that covers most of it...

Oh, we were going to have a "who has the most straight panels" contest
between Mike's EBronco and my Scout.. he has one front fender that's
still untouched.  His hardtop has some dings, too.

My '77 Scout II?  Well, FAIK the hood is still straight.. as is the
windshield frame and the hardtop.. but I can't think of another single
panel that hasn't been dented... heck, the rear bumper has been cut, and
the front bumper is bent.. grille is broken.. headlight bezel broken..
both doors show evidence of trees.. ;-)

Oh... and it was STILL A BLAST. ;-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout