Adventure of the Day

Well, I know you've probably seen my other post already, but thought I'd
fill you all in on my big IH day.
I have had several IH's lined up that I was interested in that I wanted
to go take a look at.  The time had never presented itself, so I have
piles and piles of phone numbers that I periodically call and check to
see who still has one.
Anyway, Jim Butterfield had found one that he wanted checked out, and
since he, on about ten hourse notice turned "looking for a Travelall for
Michael" into a family project for a Saturday morning, I thought I would
attempt to return the favor.  I left Alameda for Cameron Park, about 120
miles away.  Looked at his Scout, keeping my eyes peeled along the
way-none sitting in any yards with a "for sale" sign!  Drat!
Head on over to Auburn to look at an Aristocrat there, but wanted to go
look at an old Utility truck in a wrecker yard before it got dark.  The
Aristocrat is in a civilized area, it can wait until after dark.  If I
don't get out to the outside wrecker yard before dark, I will have to
crawl around with a flashlight, and it is raining like cats and dogs
here!  I get to look at the Utility, but when parking at the garage, I
notice that at the dealer next door, there is a '73 Travelette, and it
looks GOOD!  It is sitting up nice and tall-is it a 4WD?  DAMN!
NOOOOO!!!!  It is the most upright front-ended 2WD IH I have ever seen,
though, and looks really nice.  Original paint, cream or yellow and dark
green.  A very nice looking truck.  Guy isn't sure what engine-claims
it's a 345 or 304, because it has a 2-bbl carb on it.  I am thinking
that a 2-bbl will work on a 392, but don't argue.  It's one of the few
that I have seen that has nothing blocking the ID marker on the block,
but he is standing right at my shoulder, and I don't want to show him if
he has a 392 and doesn't even know it-he may raise the price.  Interior
is not great, but not bad.  Bed is pretty scratched/beat up, but no
major dents in body, very little rust that I can see.  It is really
raining, and I am dancing around this grass lot checking out this
truck.  I go to look at the Utility down the road and then am drawn back
to the Crewcab.  I ask if we can start it and he grabs one of those mini
jump start packs and out we go.  I pump the gas twice, turn the key, and
it purrs like a kitten!
"How much are you asking?"
"$1800.00."
Damn!  I still have another two hours to drive to look at another one,
try to get back and look at the Aristocrat, and look at a motorcycle
near the other two hour away IH!
I get in my Scout, which has lousy heat, no lift-gate, very poorly
sealed windows, already drenched from looking over three IH's in a
steady downpour, and head down the highway.  The last IH on the list is
a '74 4X4 PU that I have wanted to check out as a donor for a Crewcab
conversion to 4WD.  I decide, since I have just found this even better
crewcab that I will skip the Aristocrat and head on over.  I am taking
back roads to save distance, but these are twisty little country roads
and it takes forever to get anywhere.  My shoes are sloshing as I push
the pedals, and it is getting dark, and cold, and still raining.  I take
off my shoes, put them over my defroster vents to try to dry them out.
I put on my stocking cap and stuff newspaper (that I buy in every town
to scan the classifieds for IH's and motorcycles) into the crack in my
driver's side window to cut the wind screaming into my ear/freezing my
brain.  I drive.
I get to Willows, CA, call the guy, and go see the '74 IH PU.  It turns
out to be much nicer than I expected.  When I spoke with the guy on the
phone, he said they REALLY wanted to get rid of it.  He had been asking
$1800.00 originally.  I am thinking that if he REALLY wants to get rid
of it, maybe $1200.00.  When I see the sign, he has raised the price to
$2000.00.  I fear I am doomed.  I ask what his real bottom dollar is,
after driving it.  It has a funny hesitation until it warms up-he thinks
it's the carb, though he's rebuilt it twice trying to fix it (a
T-quad).  I think it reminds me of an advance problem that my Scout had
and asked if he's played with the distributor at all.  He hasn't yet.
Damn, shouldn't have given him any ideas!  It has a crack in the
windshield, but outside of that, is pretty darn clean.  It had been
repainted at some point and had a clear-coat finish that has begun to
flake, but is pretty rust-free and dent-free for the most part.  I am
pleasantly surprised to hear him say "I'd really like to get about
$1450.00" or something like that.  I think that is a very rare price for
it, but am alone so I can't drive both home, plus I need to scam a way
to get it and the crewcab.  I tell him I'll call him next week.  He's a
really good guy, and I thank him and hop back in the Scout as he kind of
shakes his head at its state of existence.
I start driving home, a HUGE smile on my face, and the trip home (three
hours) goes by quickly, with visions of Travelettes dancing in my head.
Some love off-roading, some love wrenching, I love hunting!  It is the
thrill of the chase that makes my bllod rise and my pulse quicken!  Of
course, on those days when I don't want to spend twelve hours on the
road wet and shivering, and on the weekends when I can't afford to spend
about seventy bucks between gas, french fries, and local papers/traders,
I enjoy my poor attempts at the mechanic game.  And I always insist on
4WD, because that "wheelin'" thing can be lots of fun, too!
Anyway, sorry this was so long, but what a brilliant day of IH!  Got my
fix for a while!

Michael