Re: Lift Kit

Al Evitts wrote:

> Digesters:  I just finished a 4 inch SkyJacker Soft Ride install and I
> am 2 inches lower in the rear than the front.  Tech rep says he can sell
> me an Add a Leaf for 69 bucks, I say crapola.  Can I (1) put in longer
> shackles in the back or (2) put a 1/2 inch lowering block in the front
> or any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated.  TIA

Welcome to the club, Al.  Skyjacker told me $65 for the add-a-leaf.  I
said, "nahh" as well.

I put 2" longer rear shackles on and it brought the back up a little..
the first time I measured it, I had 4" up front and 2" in the back...
put the 2" shackles on, and it's 4" and 3.5".. but I think the rear has
sagged another .5" but I have to double check...

Round 2.  I'm tossing the Skyjacker rear springs in my "junk parts pile"
for some other use (in a spring-over? heh) and I'm reconditioning a set
of '73 Scout II non-HD non-XLC rear springs.  Clean the springs up, new
bushings, flip the centering pin over...

And a month or three (time and weather) I'll be yanking the Skyjackers
and shackles out, moving the spring perches to the top of the axle, and
putting the stock springs and some HD stock shackles in.

I should then be closer to 4" of lift in front, and 5" in the rear (a
regular s.o. nets 5.5", but I'll be pulling a leaf or so to keep it
"low")

The shackles are a good stop-gap.. but you may still not like it.

In it's defense, the rear springs REALLY articulate well!  Enough to put
31s (and my 33s) into the back of the wheel well...

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
Another dissatisified Skyjacker customer..