Wiper Springs

IH Lurkers,
Recently, my wiper arm spring broke, passenger side. There is a
stainless cover piece riveted over this spring ...must be to keep it
in place.  This cover piece broke off while bending it back just
far enough to extract the spring fragment.  I can do without the
cover trim piece, but does anyone have a recomm on keeping the spring
in place.  I thought to just grab another wiper arm, but my spare
also has severe rust on the spring ...kinda' hidden and lurking
beneath this cover piece.  The spring by itself is too short and with
the small clip extender as used, it falls off.  Is there a spring out
there that, by itself, will do the job without need of the extender
clip?

This is a pain to describe ...take a look at the flipside of your
pass wiper ...you'll see what I mean.  BTW, the driver side has the
same rust problem 'alurking ...but there is a funky rubber boot
thingy keeping it in place.  Any permanent fix ideas folks?
Mark