Re: Landry's V345A For Sale

The aliens commander decided "Bill Thebert" <bthebert@domain.elided>
would make a perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>I think it should be mentioned (and I believe that Hofstetter will back me
>up on this) that John's was the cleanest, prettiest IH V8 I'd ever seen.
>Every nook & cranny clean & meticulously painted.

I guess a full disclosure statement is in order here.

No matter what Bill Thebert or John Hofstetter says to the contrary, my old
V345 did (does) had some "protective coating" on the areas of the block
below the valve cover level.  But lest anyone think I'm slipping, I want to
make it clear that this was the way I got the engine from the previous
owner and I don't like steam cleaning engines so I pretty much left it
alone.

>In fact, if I'm not mistaken, one of us used his air cleaner cover for a
>dinner plate one night when we were running short.

Actually Bill, I think the aid station at the fairground borrowed it for to
store their sterile bandages during the event.

>Didn't you win "prettiest engine" or some such at Tulare last year, John?
>Or am I just recalling idle chatter from amongst the judges -- bemoaning the
>fact that you had entered as "display only"?

Seriously... if there is such a category this year and it's restricted to
the *engine* only, I'll definitely enter.  After I drove my truck to work
this morning I took time to make sure no leaks had developed which might in
any way mar that beautiful gloss IH red finish.  Too bad the rest of my
truck doesn't look so good.  That's the next big project as I've run out of
diversions to avoid having to deal with the rust. <sigh>

BTW, the timing marks on the engine I highlighted with yellow model paint
look really trick too. <grin>

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT