Re: IHC Engine Durability

John:

Thanks for the warning.

Even though I know it adds to the cost, for a long term engine, like the IH
I have always considered "decking" and "squaring" the block part of the
necessary machining as well as "line boring" and using the head plates
torqued to spec to be part of an engine "blueprinting" and rebuild job.
I've also been under the impression that the shop would at least throw a
straightedge across the head mating surfaces of the block BEFORE they did
the heads to make sure that there was no warpage and incompatability. That
is what the top end (the ones the racers go to) machine shops around here
did back twenty years ago when we took our SB Chevy's in for blue printing.
Maybe times have changed. The only "extras" I remember were magnafluxing
the block, heads, crank and connecting rods as well as "line boring" the
camshaft port in the block.

Tom H.