Re: lockers?

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 jbade@domain.elided wrote:

> What about those "Lock-Right" setups?  They just replace the spider gears?
> No re-shimming of the R & P...
> What if I already have a "Trac Lock" in the back.. (Whatever was stock for
> the 1980)
> What should I use for the front?   Just go with a limited slip in the front
> so I can still drive in 4 Wheel when it snows and such?

Jeff,

I have a working rear Tracklok and a front Lockright.  I've been pretty
happy with the setup.. (though I may have a spare set of 4.10s and a
housing to put 'em in soon.. and I may Lockright the rear..)

4WD in the snow is a bit more interestesting.  With my '72, open/open, I
would pull the stick and just nail the throttle and I got around fine.

Now, I get MUCH better traction.. but the Scout pulls left and right as I
drive in 4wd.. since the Locker tends to pull to whatever side has
traction at the moment.  That is, if the right front tire gets traction,
it pulls hard, and jerks the wheel with it.  I expect it, but 4wd in snow
"on pavement" is not as "relaxing" as it once was..

Also, when going from "power" to "coast" the Scout wiggles.

However, in the deep snow off-road, it's a lot more fun.. and when
crawling over rocks, deep mud, trees, whatever.. two thumbs up for the
locker.

Putting the Lockright in was *fairly* easy.. that is, if you don't screw
it up like I did (www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/faq has the details)

You're probably due for pulling the Tracklok out of the rear end and
putting new clutches in it.

IMO, that's the best "bang for yer buck" approach.  Anything other than a
Lockright in the front will require you to 1) buy the device, and 2) pay
to have it put in.

Also, if you don't like the Lockright in the front.. a) take it out for
the winter and put it in when you need it (is it worth the extra $250
cost of the ARB *plus* the compressor *plus* the labor for the install?)
or b) sell it to me. :-)

So far so happy...

Ask away!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT