Re: Points or Gold Box?

Get yourself an MSD6AL, A good coil (MSD or Mallory), Pertronix Ignitor, and
a points distributor. The Ignitor will convert a points distributor to
magnetic pickup.

Keep in mind, the Pertonix pickup refers to the MSD box on how to hook it
up.

Could someone fill in the details on how the Jacobs box will eventually burn
out the Pertronix because of the voltage it applies to the pickup wires?I
remember the thread, not the details.

The beauty of the system is, it uses parts that have been around the block
longer than Jacob's sh*t, it isn't way overpriced, and it is modular.

What I mean by modular is that, you can easily go to the four following
configurations in the field:
MSD 6AL-Pertronix
MSD 6AL-Points
Pertronix
Points

Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy!

I haven't priced the MSD 6AL (get -AL rev limiter version to save on your
3800RPM limited chunk of IHC V-8)-
about - $180
Pertronix - $75 including shipping from Northern Autoparts
MSD Coil - $30

So that's $285.  How much was the Jacob's system for you? The prices are
always different and the salesmen are annoying as hell to dicker with.

I've heard "rumors" from people saying that the MSD system burns out, but
I've been running 30k miles on this set up and have yet to need to fall back
to any of the emergency configurations. My bet is that it boils down to
making sure the MSD ground wire is properly grounded and the connection the
the chassis is corrosion treated. I also mounted my box inside the cab on
the passengers side under the dash. Most installs of the box I've seen are
in the engine compartment. The only MSD unit rated for full submersion is
the overpriced offroad version. I doubt the Jacobs box is 100% waterproof
either.