and the winner is..............................

Well:

I can't find it in my "deletions" but when I posted that question about TBI
and how to diagnose problems, someone responded that it sounded like a
plugged catalytic converter and I wrote back that I had considered that and
dismissed it due to cost considerations.

Well, just got a call from the service station after I played with the TBI
last weekend, it's a plugged catalytic converter. Now I just have to find a
shop to take it to or cost justify a mig welder and new converter and weld
one in.

Tom H.