Re: 1965 4x4?

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:36:20 PST "Brad N" <ih_binders@domain.elided>
writes:
>Hello Group,
>

>   I have a question for anyone who had done a conversion of a 4x4.  I
>
>have a 1965 (friend's) 1000 Travelall that is 2 wheel drive and we want
>to make it 4 wheel drive.  This vehicle has the original straight 6
>motor in it.  I look underneath it a few night ago and noticed the beam
>that runs under the motor is so large that an axle would not fit under
>
>it.  Does anyone have the year travelall that is a 4x4?  Do you have a
>picture of the undercarriage?
>   If the conversion is to hard how can I put springs on it for lift?

If it's a 1000, it's got the torsion bar independent front suspension and
it's not a good candidate for a conversion.  Nothing is impossible if you
want to cut and weld enough, but you'd be better off finding a 1100
chassis which is the same thing except for the I-beam front axle and a
driving front axle can almost be bolted in.  Shop around for a chassis
with a rusted out body and swap his body over.  It'll be easier.

You can crank the torsion bars up for a little lift--maybe an inch, but
that's about all.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]