Re: Land Grabbers Poll

Eric,

<< Hmmm. The last time I was backpacking in a Wilderness Area it was still
there (I had to park the Travelall a mile or two so from the boundary --
still way past the Forerunner I saw - snicker snicker). >>

Someday, you will have to hike to where you parked your Travelall, and stop at
the boundary, to look in to the area you USED to be able to hike. As I
understand it, the areas that the government are designating as wilderness
these days, are off limits to any (including backpacking and day hiking) kind
of human travel. That's why some of us oppose this kind of thing. What's the
point of making an area a wilderness area to supposedly preserve it for us
when we can't even go see it by walking or any other method.

A lot of these proposals include provisions for tearing up existing roads and
trails and trying to put them back to the state they wre in before man
arrived, and then banning man from walking around enjoying it. It's bad enough
that people with disabilities who can't hike or backpack have to miss out on
some of the greatest scenery in the world, because their 4x4 is no longer
allowed in places they used to go. I say leave all the existing trails as they
are, and let us use them.

STeve