Re: 3/4 ton Dana 44?

rik D Desjardin wrote:

> I was asking around for a set of dana 60's and someone told me he knew of
> somebody selling a set out of a 3/4 ton p/u.  He said the rear was a dana
> 60 but the front was a heavy 3/4 ton dana 44.
> What are the specifics of a heavy Dana44 could they handle 35-36in tires?

Rik,

Since I'm getting a Chevy 3/4T '44 front when I trip out to Seattle in a
few weeks for the Racer.. I did a little looking through some
FourWheeler articles last night.

1/2T '44 (and 10/12 bolt and 9" I believe) use a 1/4" thick wall tube,
something like 3" diam.  The 3/4T '44 uses a 1/2" thick tube, more like
2.5" diameter (I didn't write the specs down on the size, but it *is*
1/2" vs 1/4" thick)

That's just the *housing*

FAIK, the axle shafts are the same (and the NAPA book we looked in last
night to find a price on a Chevy axle shaft showed the same for K10 and
K20 Dana 44s in '79).

What might also be different is the axle shaft U-joints.  There's a "big
joint" and "small joint".. small joint was used on Dana 30s as well as
44s.  Our Scout II '44s use the big joint.. and I'm guessing they use
the 1/2" wall tube, too.

Big tires on it?  I don't think the "3/4T Dana 44" we're talking about
is anything different than what's currently in your Scout.. but for
8-lug rotors.  (could be the axle tube wall, too).  In any manner, the
axle shafts are the same.. and remain a weak point.

Wanna see weak though?  I'm going to get some film today and take
pictures tonight... of my Dana 30 axle shaft next to my '44 axle
shaft... YIKES.

> Rik
> Caught in the endless pursuit for more.

Me too