First Welding Project - success

Speaking of welding.. my first "real" project is a success!

I took two pieces of 3x2x1/4 angle and put one with the 3" horizontal,
one with the 2" horizontal, and made a "C" channel out of it.. that
perfectly wrapped the front frame rail on a Scout II (I used the remains
of the old racer's frame as a test-fit).  Drilled for the bumper.  Welded
the seam.

Then the fun part.. I welded a foot of 3" channel perpendicular to the
front of this "c-channel" I'd made.  I welded it up, drilled for and
install my new hitch-head, and it was ready to be tested..

Drug the new racer around a bit in the backyard (only has a rear axle and
it was pointing nose-first into the fence), jacked it up, and put my new
"bumper" on it.. bolted it up, jacked it up more, and single handedly
backed my '77 Scout II under the hitch head and lowered it down.. talk
about tongue weight.. :-)

But the tow from the backyard to the front (at 12:30am) was uneventful..
but for blowing a front axle U-joint (driver's side).. 4-low + lockers +
pavement = bust.  :-(  My street and the street behind me (the street the
backyard exits to) was icy.. the street I took to get from A to B was
not. :-(  POP!

But.. at least the new racer's around front, and my first real welding
project didn't break on me.. *whew*

Now there's all three of my Scout IIs parked in a row out front.. with
Ben's '74 on the street.. I wonder what the neighbors'll think now...

:-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout