rebuilt engine runs

As long as I was posting I figured I'd post some of the tips I learned while
trying to get my rebuilt 345 to run right. (not that _I_ actually did any of
these, nooo, not me) It's running great now with ~250 miles on it BTW. See
below for the specs on the engine.

1) You can't start an engine with the distributor installed 180 degrees off!
(You can get some pretty cool backfires though <g>)

2) If you get a carb at a swap meet, make sure the base isn't cracked.

3) Make sure that your old spark plug wires are conducting at least a little bit.

4) When you replace your old crappy plug wires, stick to the factory firing
order, don't try to interchange two wires.

5) If you attach the oil filter adapter to the block with the wrong screws and
they bottom out in their holes, the resulting oil leak will do en excellent
job of rust proofing the underside of your truck.

At least it runs now.

Rebuilt 345:
Bored .040 over
Comp Cams 252 cam
Pertronix ignitor in holley dist
Bosch platinum plugs
Pertronix coil
Jacob's plug wires
Edelbrock 1404 with stock calibration (for now)
Comp Cams umbrella valve stem seals

Most of these parts choices came from information I read on this list (and the
Binder Bulletin) Thank you all.

Jeff T
74 SII
rebuilt engine runs