Flat tow - bare frame

OK, I thought this up a while ago but it didn't seem like a "really
good" idea for the purpose I had in mind..

Anyhow... there's a candidate frame located in eastern WA.. it's an
excuse to go visit a few folks I haven't seen for a while/yet, plus get
a frame for Ben's crunched '74 SII.

Just a frame tho'.  So how do I get it home?

a) rent a trailer (hafta see what that's gonna run)

or...

How about.. I bring a spare rear Dana 44 with me, and a set of rear
springs n' shackles.  Bolt this up to the frame. (yeah, bring tires,
too)

For the front.. instead of my "bumper w/ tow bar mounts" I opt for a
"bumper plus a big triangular ball-hitch coupler" as used in fabbing
trailers.  Bolt this to the stock bumper location on this bare frame,
then attach to my step bumper's ball hitch.

The only load would be the bare frame and the rear axle assembly (and
maybe a few misc. parts strapped to said frame.. like a grille or
radiator or something.. nothing heavy).  It should track better than
flat towing with both axles on it..

does this sound like a good idea now?  if it is.. I can use the same
arrangement to tow my racer out of the backyard tonight.. (if I use this
attachment twice, it's worth building).

So.. sound like a plan for a 450 mile tow of a frame and rear axle?

-Tom