Re: V392E PCV Hose Routing

In Linda Tripp's secret telephone recording, Monica and cookiedan@domain.elided
(Daniel Nees) were heard saying...

>   My 71 304 has the two spark arrestor fittings in the valve covers.
>There also isn't a PCV valve in the valley pan. The passenger side
>arrestor runs to the big manifold fitting at the back of the inatke
>manifold and the drivers side arrestor runs to the aircleaner. When I
>got the Scout the passenger side arrestor was gone, so I swiped one from
>my back-up 10,000 mile 345 siting in my driveway. Since ours is a 72
>this may be the same set-up.

I don't think so Dan.  I'm pretty sure the 392 from this 72 pickup is all
original.  It had the spark arrestor in both valve covers *and* the PCV valve
in the valley pan.  The PCV valve in the valley pan was plumbed to the rear of
the intake manifold (as I have seen on just about ever IH V8 engine I've
seen).  Unfortunately, the carb and air cleaner were gone when I first saw
this engine, and most the hoses were either gone or cut to pieces.  So from
what I saw, I can pretty safely deduce the crankcase vapors were drawn out of
the engine via the PCV valve at the rear of the valley pan and the two spark
arrestors were there to draw fresh air in.  In the absence of anyone helping
me out here, I'll just plumb both spark arrestors to a tee fitting and then to
the air cleaner.

Thanks,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)