Re: identifying my front axle

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:36:18 -0700 "Matt and Stacy Sopher" <sopher@domain.elided>
writes:
>Hi all,
>There is an I.D. tag on my front end housing. Two rows of numbers
>: 41  11
>   3 73
>That's what it says. So, what is it?
>is that 3:73 gears? Is that good? Or Good Enough? hehe
>Matt Sopher

The tag tells you you have a 3.73:1 axle ratio---two times.  The 41  11
is the number of teeth on the ring gear and the pinion and if you divide
41 by 11, you get  3.727272727273.

Good?   Bad?  Well, it depends on what you want.  Not bad for running big
tires, off road use, pulling heavy trailers, but maybe not as good as a
4.27.  Not so good for fuel mileage and quiet running on the highway.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]