my engine

well guys, seams like everything was waiting fo me today

first, get a sidewall blow out on my geo (daily driver).  jack doesn't
work, and I'm in the boonies.  so i end up doing drive a little wait a
while to where I can buy a jack.  also closest phone.  if i'd been smart
I would have returned home and went back to bed.

instead I decided to go work on my engine.  yesterday I did another
compression test, and these #'s were way diffrent than the test before I
bought it, those all were close to 120

now i have : 2 - 125
4 - 85
8 - 60

1 - 10
5 -100
7 -130

something was majorly wrong, so I decided the best thing to do was to
pull the heads and take a look and decide if I want to repair the problem
or replace the engine (wichever costs less)

so I pull off the intake (BTW, for those that haven't had this
experience, 345 intakes are HEAVY!), and take a look.  think i found the
problem already.  on my intake side of my heads, each of the small ports
were fuilled with ice!  I'm hoping that this is only a gasket leak, but
am going to pull the heads tomorrow anyways.  might as well check the
condition of the valves and top of block and pistons.

a few questions here.

would a bad or mis-installed gasket let water into these ports?  also, I
want to make sure there's no water left in my engine.  is there a "dryer"
I can use that won't damege my oil pan gasket?  don't wanna change it.
any special way to remove IH head bolts?  i was gonna use the "star from
center, work around the circle" method.

thanks all.  hope your day was better than mine.  ah well, it's almost
over

joe

Joe Dufresne email (normal) Josad@domain.elided email (with attachments)
josad@domain.elided, ICQ #25751950, homepage
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6536/index.html, PGP public key
avadiable upon request

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]