Still carb issues

Well,
 After having my 304/2300 running flawlessly, I now can't start it without completely flooding it out.  It seems as though the float or needle/seat is sticking and dumping fuel into the carb.  The intake appears to have a puddle of gas in it when I look down in with the throttle plate open.
  Tomorrow I will pull it off again, blow all the gas out of the manifold, clean the plugs, clean/inspect the carb and try it again.  My question is, what's causing the float not to close the needle valve.  Is the float binding up at the pivot or against the bowl walls or is the brand new needle valve sticking, or is my fairly new stock replacement fuel pump pushing too much pressure for it to close?
  I had adjusted the float with the truck running and the sight screw out of the side until no gas was coming out as instructed.  It ran good then, now its stuck again, 'cause the fuel cam gushing out of it when I opened it.
  Its very frustrating to be so close but seemingly so far.  I'd like to hear from anyone who has experineced this to this extent if you have any advice.  I  ultimately want it to be reliable starting, but if the float is going to stick on me every time, I might as well buy a new carb and try that!
---
Layda,
Tark
'77 Terra 345/T19/D20