Another Swap Idea

I'm at it again!  I think I should get the Walter Mitty award for having
the most Manderisms, but only being able to daydream about them.  Seems
someone else always gets my project vehicle before I make it back with
the money!
Anyway, I went last night to look at a '73 IH 1210 CrewCab Pick-up.  It
has 392, AC (no belt, but hardware still there), AT, T-Quad, LONG bed
and comes with an extra grille-the one on it is not really that bad! And
an extra 392, as well as four extra chrome wheels and some other
doodads.  I didn't expect much, as it had been in the paper for a few
weeks already and the price had dropped, but thought it was worth a
look-see, as I was going down in that direction to look at a mountain
bike anyway.
Well, it doesn't look like much (is painted, apparently rattle-can, with
either a thin coat of flat white, or some type of white primer.  It was
dark and hard to tell exactly), but is remarkably solid.  Interior is in
pretty good shape, and it started right up, but didn't feel warm before
I started it-like the guy had set it up in any way.  He claims it is a
little tough in the morning, and they (he and his brother) claim this is
due to the "auto choke" thingy that is messed up.
Anyway, body was solid, no considerable oil leaks that I could detect.
"Tapped" a little, but to me it sounded like an exhaust donut leak, not
any deep engine noise.  I instantly had visions of buying it, swapping
out parts with a 4X4, and then painting it.
I know where I can get a pretty reasonable 3/4 ton 4X4 to swap the parts
out with, but after buying the two, my recent run of good financial luck
would be at an abrupt end, and it would be back to the grind of working
so much that I drop grades in school and never smile again (except, of
course, when driving my badass Crewcab 4X4!)!  A bit melodramatic,
perhaps, but the point is, financial considerations matter here.
Then I had a brainstorm-  I have my wrecked '68 T'all in the garage, and
am having a hard time finding a new body for it affordably.  I recall
once when replacing a rear axle on my T'all that I got a rear axle from
a "newer" body style IH, and the axle was a few inches wider and the
spring perches, or mounts, or whatever they are called were also a bit
wider.  The IH mechanic I was working with on this project was very
surprised.  He was under the belief that the axles should be the same,
and that this must have been some custom or special axle for a
super-heavy duty application.
So my question is this:  Should I be able to swap the axles from my '68
T'all onto this '73 PU?  If the mounts have to be moved, no biggie.  But
I don't want a PU with too narrow of an axle sucking the tires
underneath!!!  Don't get on me, guys-I know this wouldn't work.  I
didn't think to measure the width of the wheels last night, as I was
thinking of buying the '74 I know about for this project.
So, once again, anyone that may know the answer to this please drop me a
line.  I fear if I don't move quickly on this, he may actually sell the
beast!  By the way, how's this for a wheelbase?  164"  WHoooHoooo!  It
looks like a stretch limo!

Thanks!

Michael