Knuckles

Who's had the knuckle assembly off of their front Dana 44?  Maybe for an
R&R of Balljoints?...

I want to know how feasible it would be to run some steel tube through
the holes in the axle side of the knuckle once the ball joints were
removed.. and use *that* to hold the knuckles still while I rotate the
axle housing and add caster?

Jim Weed's Jig is a bit big and has some $$$ worth of steel in it.. but
it also appears set up to do JUST Scout II Dana 44 front axles.. want to
do a Cherokee axle?  Travelall axle?  Chevy axle?  Bzztt.  Build a new
jig.

I think it's also a function of having the spindles welded to the jig..
again, you're stuck with a given size.

so...

instead of Jim's jig with something like 5x2 box tube, some I-beams, and
lots of heavy steel...

How about some 1/4" angle (3x3?) for the "width" legs.. cut in the
center and setup to overlap.. drill holes where appropriate to set the
right width for the housing in question.

Run 4x4x1/4" tube front to back to finish the "square" base.
Remembering that the hydraulic jacks needed to lift the lever arms on
the axle (the 2x2 tube bolted to the spring perches) while being firmly
seated on the frame itself.

Keep the left and right upright "towers" *short*.  Hmm.. how about..

Weld appropriate diameter steel tubing to the 4x4 box.  Use a long
enough length so that it'll go up and through the two holes in the
knuckle.  Weld something to the tube to keep the axle housing from
sliding all the way down to the 4x4 tube.  Gusset at the connection
point.

Seems like that's all that's really necessary.  Keep those "towers" on
either side *short* so the lever effect of twisting the axle isn't so
HUGE.  Perhaps add some method of locking the knuckles *down* so the
axle assembly can't walk up and out.. how about all-thread and a big
wing-nut? :-)

Hmmm...

-Tom (thinkin' about makin' me one.. but it'd need to do more than Scout
axles.. not enough Scout enthusiasts around here...)