Jim Coyle's Starting, and Gip Marchette?

Jim,

        I hear you with the timing gears.  Now try and explain what they look
like to John Landry.  BTW everyone.  After I get the transmission working I'll
get those digital pics of the old gears for you all, and put them on the web.
I'm most certainly not going to 'throw them on the bike' to bring them in to
work.

        Jim, did you take the main coil wire and check for 8x as many sparks
there?  If the disty is 180 out, it will just spark the wrong cyl at the wrong
time, but the coil doesn't care about the disty.  It should give 8x spark
regardless.  If you put the crank gear in 180 out it will still work since the
valves don't care whether the piston was 'supposed' to be on a compression cycle
or an exhaust cycle.  Problem is that the disty is driven off the cam, and thus
is important about the phasing.

        Good luck,

        Joel