SSII

----------
From: owner-ihc-digest@domain.elided (ihc-digest)
To: ihc-digest@domain.elided
Subject: ihc-digest V6 #521
Date: Tue, Jan 26, 1999, 4:08 PM

Now replace with a soft-top, U-shaped inserts in the door area, with
soft-doors.  That's the biggest difference.

Actually, the SSII came without doors or top. The doors and top came
as a kit which could be dealer installed, but in my experience was
usually installed by the owner after having the lack of shelter become
an annoyance rather than just a novelty. The doors, in particular
required hardware that was installed in the Lexan panels lining the
door openings and this didn't provide a really good way to do the job.
The doors and top I put on mine came out of Colorado somewhere, but I
don't recall the company. See the SSII at    www.goldrush.com/~hofs

Otherwise, a SSII has the VIN plate on the kick-panel area and not in
the door jamb.  It'll have snaps on the dashpad around the defroster
ducts - for defroster duct covers.  It'll have "Jeep style" mirrors
mounted to the windshield frame and not the (non-existant) doors.

It came with the duct covers, although after some weathering they
either broke or became very hard to put on.

SSII came with a rollbar from the factory.

I also *think* they came without the interior floor mat.. at least,
the
SSIIs I've seen and bothered to look at didn't have floor matting.

Yep, they had just the metal floors.

SSII had "moldings" around the wheel wells.. almost fender flares but
not quite.

There were graphics packages available and other things, too.

Did I hear the SSII didn't get the floor vents?  or was that just with
AC?

What's AC with an SSII? I don't know maybe it was available. Anyway,
the left vent by the drivers left leg was covered with a panel and was
unopenable. This was said to be to cut down on dust. Yeah, right! My
wife and I used to come back from the mountains so black, that we got
mistreated at the redneck service facilities on the way home, because
of people thinking we were of a different ethnicity. And, we didn't
even have any Denny's at that time, up here.

Lots of fun, but as we got older, I put a hard top and doors on it.
All the right holes are there under the Lexan for the doors, so they
weren't a big deal to install, they just never fit very well, but what
Scout doors do?

John Hofstetter