Re: Soft Tops

>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:12:44 -0600
>From: jbade@domain.elided
>Subject: RE: Soft Tops
>
>All this talk about tops... and well.. I figure I'll add my bit.
OK, my turn.

I've had a Kayline fasttrack SII soft top for almost 2 years now. I started out being
thrilled with it - it went on great, looked great, etc. Now I guess I'm a little less
thrilled. There are metal frames that support the outline of the windows (the roll-up
ones in the doors - not the ones molded into the soft top), and the top attaches to
the frames with velcro. The velcro is glued to the frames, but the glue doesn't seem
to be up to the task - the velcro has been peeling off steadily, to the point where
now most of it is dangling free. The nylon webbing that allows you to roll up the
sides of the top (which is really nice to do on the trail on hot days) - they pulled
out of the stitching in the first 6 months. The rear window (where the liftgate would
be on a travel top) is held to the top of the tailgate by a couple of pieces of angle
aluminum that interlock - the aluminum isn't up to the task either, and has been
bending more and more. Recently one of the zippers pulled apart, so I can't
zip it up or down - it's stuck in the middle. I do still like the fasttrack feature.
One thing it gives you is that the fabric of the top is nice and tight, but I think
that may also be contributing the problems I'm having. I'm about ready to
just not bother with a top at all, and go with a bikini top regardless of weather.

Later,
  Curt