Virginia legislative alert!!

Thanks to Bill Haegele of the OCC, I got a heads-up on some upcoming
legislation that will affect many of us.  If you haven't already, you
all really should check out the SEMA site www.sema.org/consumer/fedleg/
and see what is going on in your state.

The following excerpt was copied from the sema site and pertains to
Virginia legislation concerning older cars (and trucks!!).  Folks, pick
up the phone and make a call.

                     URGENT LEGISLATIVE ACTION
                                ALERT
              Emissions Inspection Exemption for Older Cars:
                                 Virginia
          Virginia State Senator Janet Howell (D-32) has agreed to
introduce legislation in the next session to exempt vehicles 25 years
old and older from the state's mandatory emissions inspections. A number
of state legislators in both the House and Senate have also indicated
their support. We urge you and your club to join SEMA and other Virginia
automobile enthusiasts in supporting this important state legislative
action.
          Existing law in Virginia only exempts vehicles manufactured
prior to the 1968 model year from emissions inspection. This proposed
legislation provides for a rolling 25 year exemption that would exempt
pre-1974 vehicles upon enactment and would pick up an additional model
year for each year the law is in effect.
          The Virginia legislative session is scheduled to begin on
January 13, 1999 and proceed until February 12, 1999, leaving a very
small window of opportunity for us to have this bill made into law.
Accordingly, we need you to contact your state legislators immediately
and urge their support for this proposal.

                           Urgent Action Requested

          Contact your state legislators in support of this proposed
legislation. We have enclosed a sample letter for your use. If you need
assistance in determining who your legislators are, please contact the
SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007 or you can access this
information via the internet at
http://www.sema.org/fedleg/legislatorrequest. Please fax a copy of your
letters to us at 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office
1317 F St., NW, Ste. 500
Washington, D.C. 20004
Attn: Steve McDonald/Brian Caudill

Go to the web site for their letter and Virginia code number to be
modified.  Definitely worth doing to save our older vehicles as
emissions tests evolve to remove them from the roads.

thanks,

Rob Cavaleri