Dwell, point gap

Yes!
The wider the point gap, the less dwell, the weaker the spark.  With less gap, the dwell is longer, builds more charge for stronger spark.  Of course the rest of the ignition system plays a large role in efficiency.  As to how it affects fuel mileage, I would assume with strong spark you will get a better burn and potentially better mileage.  You can check the strength of the spark by pulling one of the plug wires and putting it on your tounge, I've found that to be the most accurate way to test it. :)
I hope noone takes that last bit seriously.
---
Layda,
Tark
'77 Terra 345/T19/D20