Re: T-34 And how it gets OD

Well, Allan, here's your enlightenment.  You're right.  The input and output
can't spin at different speeds without spinning the countershaft.  Also,
transmission component inertia has nothing to do with interstate driving
because everything is spinning at a constant speed.  Gear inertia does come
into play in town.

Here's my opinion:  The biggest gains in transmission efficiency for steady
speed driving have come from improvements in lubrication.  Modern
transmissions use less viscous lubricants than the old ones.  This results in
a huge reduction in drag and the faster you spin the transmission, the bigger
the effect is.

Jerry Muncie

In a message dated 1/21/99 11:10:14 PM US Eastern Standard Time,