Body Lift

Matt,

I used a Scout II body bushing kit from GUS and a body bushing kit from an
early Jeep when I lifted my 800. It gave me about 1 1/2 inches of lift. The
Jeep bushings are just 3/4 inch disks which fit fine. The Scout II bushings
are  two piece units with a center metal sleave for the bolt. The lower  half
of the bushing has to be ground off on the sides to fit between the bracing of
some of the frame mounts.

The fixed stud under the radiator has to be lengthened to work with the body
lift. I used a threaded coupling and a short section of all-thread.

With just this amount of lift the steering wheel monting doesn't have to be
modified. I also have a power steering box mounted and used a u-joint coupler
on the bottom side of the steering shaft. So far (2 1/2 years) the rag joint
on top is still in good condition. I did install a new one bought at NAPA ,
and saved the old one which was still in good shape for a spare. Drill out the
plastic plugs in the two piece shaft and it will lengthen enough.

If you try to install too much body lift, you will have problems with
everyting from the steering, brake line leangth, wiring harness length, etc.

With 2 1/2 inches in the springs, 1/2 inch with longer shackles and the 1 1/2
inches with the body lift, I am running 33x9.50 tires with very minimal
rubbing at the back of the rear wheelwell.

Mike Meyer