From: owner-ihc-digest@domain.elided (ihc-digest)
To: ihc-digest@domain.elided
Subject: ihc-digest V6 #495
Date: Tue, Jan 19, 1999, 3:28 PM

I can't remember how the Scout speedometer cable hooks up right now,
but if
it's the type that screws on to the side of the tranny housing,
unscrew it
from the tranny and also from behind the dash.  I used a speedometer
grease
fitting to lubricate the cable.  I think I got it from NAPA or someone
like
that.  It was pretty cheap, and you'll probably never use it again,
but it
did the trick.  I had to have a friend hold a rag over the end of the
cable
up by the dash for two reasons.  One was to catch any grease that
might
come out, and the other was to keep the flexible metal strip inside
the
cable from pushing out once the grease is applied.

It's a thought anyways.  Hopefully it'll be a simple fix for your
problem.

Take care and good luck,
John