Re: Humble Pie....(worst stuck)

Tom Harais wrote:
> Why did that SOB charge you $20? I thought the 4WD fraternity was helpfull
> and respectfull, especially to each other?

Ahh.. the other unwritten 4WD Frat Rule... stupid is as stupid does.
;-)

Quite a few "real off-road enthusiasts" feel it's perfectly acceptable
to leave someone in the Family Explorer/Cherokee/Blazer "4wd" stuck in
the ditch when, to the driver, it seems pretty obvious the person in the
ditch is there because, "I have 4wd" makes them invincible.  In such
situations, it's prefectly acceptable to bilk the Yuppie for $20.. I've
heard of $50s and better being exchanged.

Not only is it a "Tax for dealing with people that really should know
better".. but those Yuppies are also prone to sueing when you rip a
bumper off or something when ya drag 'em out of that ditch..

Naturally, we're talking about stereotypes here.. there are exceptions
to every rule.

Now, if it's obviously a "real" 4wd that got into some trouble.. vs.
someone acting stupid.. most wheelers'll glady help out.  It's the dumb
types that get no respect.

Chris admitted to being a little "braver" then he should've.. just like
when I ditched my Scout a few weeks back when I was skiing.  STUPID
MISTAKE, TOM.  Of course, I just locked the hubs and backed up. :-)

OTOH, there are also people that are just Not Nice.  To them, your $20
is better yielded to them than $100 for a wrecker (BTDT, only my bill
was $200).. and they don't want the bother of doing it just to be nice.

Me?  I love a chance to show off and play with my toys.. :-)  It also
helps that I'm just a nice n' helpful person as well.

Why did Chris get stiffed for $20?  Hmmm.. Chris was in an IH 4x4.. no
respectable Yuppie would stoop to such levels.. but he noted that the
puller was a *new* Chevy pickup.. maybe it wasn't a true avid-off-roader
but someone that bought the truck for another reason - a yuppie that
needs a pickup to look cool and haul stuff(??), or maybe a
construction-type person... etc.  In any manner, it wasn't a built
Jeep/Scout/Cruiser/whatever.

YMMV

*shrug*

-Tom