Re: Steering column in body lift

"Joseph Michael Shaw, II" wrote:

> Okay, while I have some of you knowledgeable people responding on this
> thought pattern:
> If I put in new body mounts (2" body lift thickness), in a '70 Scout
> 800, will I have to cut out the hole for the steering column?

I don't know about a Scout 800 but I just installed a 2" body lift on my
Scout II and, YES, I did have to cut a notch below the steering column.

>  I am not
> aware of whether this is simply a round hole only big enough for the
> column, or if it has enough space to accomodate such a lift as this.
> If I do need to cut it out, what is commonly used for this operation?

I used a Dewalt 18v. Sawmill - 1/8" thickness (two 1/16" walls make the
firewall) was cut like butter.

> How thick is the metal here?  Do you take a hack saw to it?  A torch?
> Some type of "super-snips"?  A Ginsu?  Does any alteration need to be
> made to the steering column?

No - just needs to be dropped.

I did have the fab a bracket using a piece of angle-iron and a u-bolt from a
muffler bracket. I had to knock off the tacked on nuts using an impact gun.
I used the 2 top holes to mount the fab'd bracket.

>  If I decide to put the PS equip from my
> Scout II into this 800 model, when is a good time to do this?

Would make no difference IMHO

>  I would
> imagine I should do it at the same time as the lifts, so that I can make
> sure that I cut the hole out to accomodate the new shaft-if there is any
> difference.  If I do this swap, do I need to change the column as well,
> or just the bottom half/portion?  Anyone done this recently and can tell
> me about it?  Is there a convenient place to mount the PS box, or do I
> need to fab something?

My P/S gearbox has about a 1/8-1/2" thick plate welded to the frame to
reinforce the mount - I would suggest doing the same. There's a lot of flex
there from what I understand.
(Idea behind Strate-steer??)

> Also, If I go with about 4" of suspension lift,

Won't matter - you're lifting the suspension not the body.

--
"It's not a matter of no one else being able to keep up. It's a matter
of no one else being able to follow." -from my Hummer poster

SC4x4EI - Home of "TK SLiders" www.muddyjeep.com
Kevin Curry <>< - Kevin@domain.elided
Lisa Curry <>< - Gonna be a trailblazer yet!
'94 Red Hummer 4DHT Slant-back - "HummuH"
'75 Black International Scout - "Stealth"
'84 White "Lightening" CJ-7
'89 Soon to be whatever color Lisa wants Suburban - "Sluggo"
ICQ# 7653541
http://www.redhummer.net