Re: axle strength

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 josad@domain.elided wrote:

> hey guys, I was just thinking, I saw on jim weeds page that he suggested
> a hybred 44/60 axel in the rear when using 35" or larger tires.  but not

Actually, Jim doesn't recommend the hybrid '60/44.  He recommends the
full-on 35spline 1.5" 'shaft custom Dana 60.  I've spoken to Jim about
this a few times.. :-)

> in the front, which is a full floater.  if I was to retrofit my rear end
> to full floater type, would it be strong enough if I'm thinking in the
> 35-38" tire range?

I've been trying to determine if a full-floater Dana 44 (ala Warn's kit)
would be suitable for 35/36s.. the axle shafts are beefier than stock
(though not as beefy as the 35sp '60 'shafts).. but I think the Dana 44
center section then starts becoming a weak link (stripping the R&P).. but
for a "poor man's approach" if you don't think you'll absolutely *need* a
35sp '60.. I'd do the Warn FF Dana 44.. and *if* you grenade more than
one Dana 44 Ring & Pinion (one could be a fluke, or if you KNOW you're
asking for trouble), I'd then build it into the hybrid '60/44 by putting
a 30sp Dana 60 differential in.

OTOH, if you plan on abusing it... a custom '60 isn't *that* expensive..
I've come full circle.. my next buildup will include a junk-yard '60, a
35spline LockRight for it, shortened 'tubes, and custom ($400) axle
shafts.  Do it right and you'll do it once.

> also, how much lift can I expect w/ a poor mans lift? (spring over)

5.5 to 6".  The height of the diameter of the axle tube, plus the spring
perch height, plus half the thickness of the spring pack (give or take).

33s will still rub.  :-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77 Scout II - 44s front/rear w/ 33x12.50s.. 4" lift + 2" rear shackles..
rear is going to stock springs in a spring over