From: owner-ihc-digest@domain.elided (ihc-digest)
To: ihc-digest@domain.elided
Subject: ihc-digest V6 #481
Date: Fri, Jan 15, 1999, 6:31 PM

From: Dent8@domain.elided
Subject: Fuel pressure reducer

Is a reducer valve for the pressure of an electric fuel pump an easily
purchaseable item?  Local speed shop likely to have?  My fuel pump
went out
and I remembered that there was an old electric fuel pump already
mounted to
the frame from when my grandpa had his very scary auxiliary fuel tanks
mounted
to the stepsides.  I had considered painting targets on the sides but
just
removed them, and left the pump for just such an occasion.  Well I
hooked the
pump up and have used it to move the truck on street cleaning days a
couple of
times, but suspect the pressure is too high (something about the gas
covering
the sides of the carb makes me think this).  Is it likely that I've
wrecked
anything in the carb, it was only on for a few minutes at a time, and
ran
fine.
Also, I am getting dual listings for a replacement mechanical pump on
the '63
304, concentric or in-line filter.  I removed the pump and recall
seeing
nothing which makes the answer to this question obvious, except the
obvious,
that there is an in-line filter after the pump.  Is that it?  I will
be
checking my manual soon, but I toss it out there.
Also also, someone mentioned recently to remove the mechanical pump
and get a
block-off plate.  Why not just let the dead pump hang there, other
than a
desire for the neat and tidy?
Dennis Millward
63 C1200 4x4