Good'

   I drove Good to the meeting last. Saturday morning, my father and I
put the fender back on, door back on, headlights back in, bumper on,
grill back on, new thermostat, new PCV valve, changed the oil, and wired
the new fuel pump into the ignition switch. All before 2PM.
   Then, I dorve her to Lancaster and back, 300 miles round trip, for
her maiden journey.
   She has a nasty valve train tap. It sounds like a diesel engine
running. I had it when I first started her up and it didn't go away even
after I changed the oil to 20W50 oil.
   Now my question is, what is it? Is it a collapsed lifter? If it is,
wouldn't I notice a loss of engine power? The engine ran very well.
Strong in fact. Very responsive at all speeds and plenty of top end,
but; this tap was there through it all. Sometimes it would quite down
for a while, to were I couldn't hear it over the radio and road noise,
but; then it owuld come back loud enough to have to turn up the radio to
make it go away. <g>
   I intend to run some engine wash through and change the oil a couple
of times and see if that does anything. Any suggestions?

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
The
"Good" 1979 Scout II  345/auto