'70 Scout Roll Cage

I looked at the cost of buying a front cage kit, and also in buying the
raw material, and his prices were so close that I was paying more than
if I did it myself due to the labour costs only. I'm sure that if you
found the cage kit and rear bar else where he would do the welding. One
of the problems I faced in searching for  the cage in the Jeep was the
only weldors that were a) qualified and b) prepared to work on a
road/trail vehicle (liability issues mostly) had preconceived ideas on
what was needed/required. Some wouldn't work on the stock rear bar and
insisted on replacing it (for no good reason that I coulld find). I
knew what I needed to protect myself and Tim (having had a nice scare
the weekend before on the Rubicon) and was insisting on what  -- I --
determined.  I also was able to ensure that future plans (more rear
cage, tie in to frame, and removable 5 pt harness shoulder bar) could
be accomadated with the design. The key was he was prepared to work
with me , giving the benefit of his expreince whilst understanding what
I was trying to achieve. The compromise design (fyi) is now his
standard Wrangler cage.

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:46:12 -0800, Joseph Michael Shaw, II wrote:

>Was it expensive to have them work this way?  If anyone makes a stock
>Scout 80/800 cage, I'm sure it will be fine.  Did you find yours
>reasonable, or did you choose to pay a little extra in order to get
>exactly what you wanted?

Jerry Whitteridge
jrwhitt@domain.elided
91 Jeep Wrangler