Fuel pressure reducer

Is a reducer valve for the pressure of an electric fuel pump an easily
purchaseable item?  Local speed shop likely to have?  My fuel pump went out
and I remembered that there was an old electric fuel pump already mounted to
the frame from when my grandpa had his very scary auxiliary fuel tanks mounted
to the stepsides.  I had considered painting targets on the sides but just
removed them, and left the pump for just such an occasion.  Well I hooked the
pump up and have used it to move the truck on street cleaning days a couple of
times, but suspect the pressure is too high (something about the gas covering
the sides of the carb makes me think this).  Is it likely that I've wrecked
anything in the carb, it was only on for a few minutes at a time, and ran
fine.
Also, I am getting dual listings for a replacement mechanical pump on the '63
304, concentric or in-line filter.  I removed the pump and recall seeing
nothing which makes the answer to this question obvious, except the obvious,
that there is an in-line filter after the pump.  Is that it?  I will be
checking my manual soon, but I toss it out there.
Also also, someone mentioned recently to remove the mechanical pump and get a
block-off plate.  Why not just let the dead pump hang there, other than a
desire for the neat and tidy?
Dennis Millward
63 C1200 4x4