Closed/Open Knuckle...Full/Semi Floaters...

Hello,
A few questions ...some related ...well, most related.  I seem to
have received a number of conflicting 4WD opinions lately.  I am
kinda' new to all this stuff (remember, I mostly read the paper in
my topless Scout with Volvo seats ...sometimes I take a nap
there too), so...

Old Land Rovers have a closed knuckle front axle.  They tend to leak,
the swivel balls pit and the semi-contained oil relys on a seal.
Please tell me what the advantage is of this design.  There may be
other vehicles with this design (perhaps IHC products).  I understand
that turning radius is affected.  These vehicles also offer a "full
floating rear hub" whereas, I am told, theIH Scout2 Dana 44 (which I
have) is a "semi floating" type.  What does this mean?  Are my Dana
44 axles prone to fatigue and catastrophic failure?  The Land Rover,
as I am told, has a weak axle designed in as a "fuse" so as to not
destroy other drivetrain components.  Does this make any sense?
I mean, are mechanical fuses, such as this, common?  If my Dana axle
breaks while going down the highway at 70 mph, will my wheel depart
for whereabouts unknown?  This is a scary thought.  Is there an
inspection procedure to determine axle fatigue?  Is axle replacement
a periodic maintenance I should be doing?  I drive relatively few
miles, mostly on paved roads, mostly in 2WD.  The Scout body rusts
...not as nice as an aluminium, but I think steel is easier to
repair.  I am told it is more difficult to MIG weld aluminium.

I appreciate your comments.  If your response is tending off topic,
feel free to email me direct.  Mark