Re: pulling 727 pump

Jeff Tarquinio wrote:

> Tom, Dan,
> I thought some threaded rod (w/nuts and washers) and something to bridge the bell housing was all it took to get the pump out?

That's one way, Tark.

The IH shop manual shows two 7" long 3/8" bolts threaded into the same
spots you're thinking of, and then some 3" diameter wood dowels are
turned into a washer (3/8" ID).. say 2" long, and washers used on one
end of the wood dowel.  You're then (my understanding, anyhow) supposed
to pull on the wood dowel and "slam" the dowel & washer into the bolt
head.. *gently* of course.. ;-) and slowly pull the pump out in that
fashion.

Anyone done it both ways?  Would some all-thread be easier and
"better".. just hit 'em alternately with the impact and pull it out.. or
does the pump come out easy enough with the factory "slide hammer"
technique?

Note that you don't need to BUY any slide-hammers.. just some wood dowel
and some bolts.

-Tom