Re: I want room for 33 tyres, and I have an auto

Daniel Nees wrote:

> Tom,
>    Body lift doesn't need the gas filler neck changed. The tank is
> fastened to the body and will rise with the body.

That's what I thought... until I removed the body from the ex-racer, and
the tank was still secured.. TO THE FRAME.  Don't the straps attach to
the rear crossmember and the shock-mount crossmember (or there about)?
Seems to me that means it's attached to the frame, not the body.  I
could be wrong, of course..

>    Rob Cavaleir has a 4" spring (might be a Rancho) and 3 body lift and
> when we were in Paragon rock crawling with his 33's he didn't have any
> rubbing at all. I was kidding im about mushing his fenders and rining
> his nice prety wand yellow paint job, but; it came out without a tire
> induced scratch.

I think 4" springs and 3" body lift are a "for-sure" recipe for 33s.. at
the same time, that's pretty much the "bolt-on" limit!  I *think* 4"
suspension + 2" body lift would be adequate.. possibly with minor
trimming of the wheel wells.

OTOH, I've been thinking of suggesting to my young apprentice, Ben, that
we could cut the rear wheel wells on his new '74 and tub it from the
get-go and have room for 33s with the stock suspension.. so when he
decides to step up from the 225/75R15 passenger car radials that are on
the truck to something meetier, he could just skip the 31s and head
straight for 33s. :-)  Best to get it out of the way before he starts
driving it and it gets cluttered and becomes a "must-have" means of
transportation.

-Tom