Re:Subject: More Transmission Swappage Q's

Alan St John asked:
>Anybody know what's involved with putting a Torqueflite 727 in a '67 800?
Is this a bolt-in replacement for the T28?  Based on past digests Tom Lang
suggested to me that this might be a valid alternative to the troublesome
Borg-Warner (and I'd be inclined to agree), but I'm concerned with the
possible price and difficulty if fabrication is required.  <

Alan,

  Pretty straight forward swap.  I went from manual tranny to 727.

  Get the kick down linkage off a Scout II.  Get the cooler hoses off same.
 I mounted an auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator.  Use an
aftermarket shifter or one off a Scout  II.  You might need the flex plate
and crank end spacer too.

   Slight fabrication on the rear mount, it's been a while so I don't
remember exactly what was involved, but it wasn't a big deal.  I also cut
an access hole in the tunnel near the gas pedal to make shift linkage and
cooler line hookup easier.  Adapting the kick down linkage to the carb was
minor.

  My conversion was around $500.  $50 for dead tranny and other stuff off
Scout II, $450 for rebuild w/torque converrter.  I could have saved by
getting a good used tranny, seems like a lot of folks are converting from
727's to 4 speeds and are willing to part with their 727's cheap.  You
might go the used 727 route cause there're lots of poor misguided souls
that don't realize the 727 is the best thing that ever happened to Scouts.

Doug