New Scout Issues

First off, I opted to pass on the '74 Scout II.. instead, a young IH
initiate bought it, and bought me a tow-bar. :-)  (Hey, he needed to get
that Scout back to Helena somehow.. and I needed a tow-bar.. and I
*wanted* that '74..)

$300 for the '74 previously described.  Looking like 109k

We removed a good deal of the mangled front end today (LF outer fender,
grilled, lower grille, radiator).. enough to notice it has a fan-clutch
with a mangled fan.

What size wrench do we need to remove the clutch to get the fan off?
Will any of my spare fans work.. I've only dealt with the fixed waterpump
and fans before.

The two outer crank pulleys are shot.. being the screw-on p/s pump pulley
and one of the "main" crank pulleys.  One of the two alternator pulleys
is shot, and maybe one of the waterpump pulleys though I don't recall.

I know how the p/s pump pulley comes off.. but what about the other two?
Are they simply bolted to the crank?  Replacements easy to find?

Worst case, we'll run the alt to the wp and crank on the one good pulley,
and the p/s pump to the wp.

Got enough of the stuff removed that we could safely try the motor (no
rad of course).. I checked the oil - FULL.

Cranked it over and it caught.. MAN what a lifter racket!  It then died a
few times.. so we added gas since the fuel gauge indicated E.  Still
doesn't show gas, but I put 2.5gal or so out of my jerry can in.

We got it running and let it idle for a few moments.. the lifter clatter
gradually got *less* but never went away.. then, when revved, the valve
train was sure to let us know it needed oil!

Shut it off, add a quart, no change.  My recommendation was to change the
oil and we'll try it again tomorrow.

Now to finish removing the mangled front sheet metal, fab a new body
mount, and then remove the same parts from my new racer for use on this
'74.. since I have a tilt front clip ready to go anyhow..

The '74s hood will make great patch panels.. :-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
My yellow '72, my grey lifted '77, and Ben's yellow '74 parked out
front.. now to get the new racer around.. and that'll be 4 "fully
assembled" (or at least, appearing to be) Scout IIs out front.. heh heh.