Re: Comp Cam

"John A. Landry" wrote:

> When he stopped taking his medication, strange voices in Darrel
> <darrelK@domain.elided>'s head said:
>
> >Exactly how is this done with the IH gear drive?
>
> I don't understand what you mean Darrel?  Are you asking how I intend to
> *check* the cam specifications... or maybe you're asking me how I would
> *change* the valve timing?

Yes, I was wondering how you were going to adjust the timing if necessary. When
you said "degree the cam" I thought you meant you were going to actually adjust
it as necessary ...not just check the specs.  Doesn't Competition Cam's offer
timing gears for the IH? If so, maybe they have an adjustment feature. Probably
unlikely.

> I suspect you must be asking about the later because surely you must know
> how to check a cam.  Going under that assumption, I don't intend to do
> adjust the valve timing... just check things.

That's were it pays off to do things yourself.  Volume rebuilders don't take
the time for these things.

> If I were to find a gross
> error, I would take the camshaft back and try a different brand or have one
> custom made.

Assuming the problem is actually the camshaft. Might be difficult to narrow it
down.

Regarding the timing card: Every aftermarket camshaft I have ever bought had
one, including several from Comp Cams. One wasn't filled out however. How much
money do you save by going with the Federal-Mogul camshaft instead of Comp
Cams?

Of Course, Federal Mogul has to have the timing information you need somewhere.
You can't grind a camshaft without the specifications. I had the same problem
trying to get spring rates from the lift kit manufacturers. Had to keep trying
until I got a hold of the right person.

Darrel