Re: ihc-digest V6 #450

In a message dated 1/8/99 12:31:48 PM, owner-ihc-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<Ok, everyone loves it when you try to describe noises your scout makes be
it normal or not.  These noises are definitely not good ones.  If you
know please clue me in...

1.    After locking in my manual front hubs, and driving I shift into 4
wheel, That when the noises start.  The front right sounds like a power
air wrench when it can't turn anymore. You know the super fast machine
gun noise.  (is this hubs only or a more severe problem?)

2.    Same sequence of events, but front left wheel...  Noise is VERY
different it sounds and feels like a super vibration like a propeller
plane engine, VERY loud only happens occasionally and for short periods.

So any one know?  I'm having the hubs looked at  monday.  there are NO
noises or problems when I'm in 2 wheel hi with the "Hubs unlocked"

Ed Kraus
1974 Scout II, I-6 258 AMC, new interior, 1974 heater brrrr....., and
noises...

Ed
It sounds <g> like your front axel u joints are bad.