OD tranny comments

perhaps I was being a little harsh in my judgement on the T34 OD...I didn't
want to say you can't pull with it, or drive it, just that the T-36 "short
fourth" tranny offers closer ratios than the OD (by this I mean All the
gears are closer together..the top two are mechanically the same distance
apart between the T-34 OD and the T-36) and can provide BETTER performance
when hauling stuff around. the T-36 is inherently more efficent, as well as
being WAY more of them around than the OD.  If you break the gears in the
T-34, you are going to have a harder time finding those parts compared to
the more common T-36 and 35 models.  The T-36 also offers a somewhat more
standard shifting pattern...

I suppose that if you took the T-34 and set it up in an off-road rig to
take advantage of the OD and put fantastically low gears in the axles and
still keep up on the highway, this seems to have more merit.  For me, I am
putting the T-35 in my Scout, as it offers a very low 1st gear (7.17:1
versus 6.21:1 in the T-34 and T36) and 2nd to 4th are almost identical to
the 4 speed close ratio T-19 found in stock scouts!!

Jason and Maria Colavecchia
1979 IH Scout II,  V304, modifications ongoing
1969 IH 1210D Travelall 3/4 ton, V345,  restoring slowly