Re: 4 wheel drive noises, More info...

Ed Kraus wrote:

> Actually with the hubs locked but the truck in 2 HI, I do get the
> chatter from the front right wheel, but I don't get it as loud and there

Is it from the right wheel from INSIDE or have you verified from the
outside? (that is, are you driving and hearing it?)

> >So do you get any noise with the truck in 4WD with the manual hubs
> >*unlocked*?  Knowing this would help narrow down where the problem is.
> >Post the result for the Digest to digest.

Like John said.. unlock the hubs, put it into 4wd, and drive.. it should
be fine.

If 4wd w/o hubs unlocked, you may have bad U-joints? in the front
driveshaft.  This would cause a shake and maybe a bounce, plus a rumble
feeling.

Shake the front driveshaft.. if the U-joints have any slop, grease 'em
first.. then replace before long. :)

You could also try jacking the front end up, locking the hubs, and
turning the driveshaft by hand (in 2wd) and see if you can detect the
noise.

Just crawl under w/ hubs unlocked and in 2wd, and spin the front
driveshaft to see if all of the U-joints are OK and the diff is
working.. that'll tell if you need a new "front end".. if you can turn
it by hand, you're most likely OK with the major parts.

Jack it up, lock hubs, and see if it's a hub that's bad or bearings or
some such..