Tom's patient new girl friend

Tommy,
I would check the terminals on the Delco Solenoid and the ballast resistor.
The truck is running when the solenoid is bypassing the ballast resistor for
starting purposes.

Yes you would, for testing purposes, jump from the battery to the coil. This
would bypass everything on the positive side and if the ground side was OK,
(distributor and such) and if the coil is OK, which apparently it is, then
the fault is in the positive circuit. My guess is that it is the ballast
resistor.
John H.